Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Letter to Friend


Hey Ash,

Wow I didn’t know we get to do lots of activities in this class and blog about it!

The essay I chose to summarize and later write to the author of it was, Family Guy

and Freud: Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious by Antonia Peacocke. In the

beginning I thought the essay would be a long boring passage like most teachers

nowadays give us, but once I started reading it I got so into it to the point where I

would make small debates in my mind in which family guy would be the educational good

guy and the blindfolding parents would be the bad guy. I never knew how much cartoon

relates to the real world and portrays the average American in the most humorous way

possible. In a way you can say it never hit me! I strongly encourage you to read this

essay, not because it is my job to persuade you (ok maybe a little), but just because

it gives you a broader view to how people make a big fuss over cartoon. When it is

cancelled or irregularly scheduled due to criticism the fans begin to protest and not

allow any commercials to be aired on the FOX Television Network and when it is being

aired the religious and blindfolding parents start criticizing the show as if there

is nothing else that is bad in the world that can actually happen to their children.



In my opinion I think kids should watch all kinds of shows regardless because it

helps them understand the world outside the doors of their house. Parents should

expose their children to these kinds of shows because honestly there is just so far

you can go by being book smart. You have to be people and street smart to survive in

this world. No one is going to sing the itsy bitsy spider to you and put you to sleep

when you go out into the real world. Cartoons like Family Guy and the Simpsons

actually expose you to real life situations.



This essay is really well written, but I thought it could be better. She is trying

to persuade people to start watching Family Guy since it is humorous, realistic, and

most importantly educational. If the author didn’t constantly oppose someone else’s

judgment as the key to why this show is great then this essay would have been a lot

better. Basically the author started to avoidFamily Guy when the fans were protesting

for it to come back on TV and when it did parents and other people started

criticizing the show so the author started liking it. I thought she wasn’t exactly

supporting the Television show and she was really just going against the thoughts and

opinions of others.



Now you might be confused with what I am writing because you haven’t read the

article. But I promise you if you read this article you will definitely understand

what I am talking about! It will give you a reason to watch family guy. I know when

you open the PDF it will look long and you wouldn’t want to read what it is, but once

you finish the essay you will really enjoy it, take my word for it because if it was

boring and a waste of time I wouldn’t of sent you this letter, heck this letter

wouldn't of even existed. So there must of actually been something great about this

essay for Maryam to read it and write about it.


Sincerely,

Maryam

No comments:

Post a Comment